The annual GBRT Junior X Factor competition is the largest and most established talent competition in the Market Harborough area. The heats and finals provide an opportunity to perform in front of professional musicians and packed audiences. Entry and tickets to the finals are completely free and each participant receives written feedback on their heat audition of ways to further improve.
See the results of previous competitions
- Entrants must live within 20 miles of Market Harborough.
- The competition is open to vocalists, instrumentalists and composers in School Years 1-13.
- All entrants must be available to take part in heats during the weekend of 9th/10th March 2024 and Finals Concert on Saturday 16th March 2024
- Entries will open on 10th January 2024 and close on 3rd March 2024.
Junior X Factor 2024 Prizes
All finalists will receive a medal and certificate, and in addition the following prizes will be awarded:
- Best Vocal Performance will receive £25 music store vouchers and £175 vocal lessons funded by GBRT.
- Best Instrumental Performance will receive £50 music store vouchers and £150 instrumental lessons funded by GBRT.
- Best Group Performance will receive £200 music store vouchers •
- Best Original Composition will receive £200 music store voucher
- One of the above category winners will also be chosen as the Overall Winner of the competition, and will receive an additional £50 music store voucher .
- Most promising vocalist and most promising instrumentalist will each receive £100 vocal or instrumental lessons funded by GBRT.
All prize winners will also receive an engraved glass trophy
Performance Category Rules
- Entrants may perform as individuals or groups.
- Multiple entries into the same category are allowed if you are performing on different instruments/voice. You may also enter as part of a group and as a soloist on the same instrument.
- Each entrant should perform one piece of up to 5 minutes in length.
- Performances must either be unaccompanied or accompanied by a pre-recorded backing track on CD/MP3 only.
- Entrants will be notified by email within 48 hours of the end of the heats whether or not they have been selected to perform in the finals concert.
- There is no minimum or maximum number of finalists - all entrants who reach the required standard will be given the opportunity to perform in the finals concert.
- Audio or visual recording of any of the auditions or finals performances is not permitted.
Composition Category Rules
- Please write an original piece of music, up to 5 minutes long, in any musical style and for any instruments - acoustic, synth or voice.
- Record and save your composition as a high-quality MP3 using your name as the filename.
- The recordings will be marked by our judging panel and the top 3 compositions will be played at the Finals Concert where the winner will be announced.
Step 1: Complete an Entry Form
All entrants for both performance and composition categories must complete the online entry form below by the end of 3rd March 2024.
Step 2 (Composition only): Email Your MP3
Please save your file with your name as the filename and follow the instructions on the entry form to email it to us by the end of 3rd March 2024. Entry forms received without an MP3 file cannot be accepted.